Sunday, September 13, 2009

4 Weeks In...

Last week I completed my 4th week of classes. I miss television and the ability to be spontaneous, but thus far, I am loving every second of it. That is not to say that the amount of work is not overwhelming, because at times it is; or to say that it's not hard, because it is; or even that I understand and "get" everything, because I can certainly say that I don't! I am blessed to have made great friends that I am thankful for and to have good professors (for the most part). Let me give you a quick run down:

Professor Contracts: definitely old school and believes in the Socratic method. When called on, you have to stand and give the details of the case, as well as for all the ensuing questions that arise. He asks many questions and gives few answers. Oddly enough, this is one of my favorite classes ... which may change once I am called on.

Professor Torts: likes to read to us from the book and it did not take long to realize that he enjoys detailing the notes in between the cases. Torts is like the gym class of law school, and while I thought going in this would be my favorite class, it's not.

Professor Criminal Law: A genius that is a huge proponent of literacy - far and away, the heaviest reading loads that we have. He goes back and forth between calling on people and straight up lecture.

Professor Civil Procedure: Great professor with a sense of humor that is brought to the classroom. If he calls on you, the entire case and every question will be on you. This has meant that one person was "on" the entire class. I like the teaching style and the format very much and is probably my favorite class. Of course, this too may change once I've been "on" for a class.

Professor Writing: also doubles as an english professor, so grammar and style counts. This is a small class and is getting more in-depth. I've written my first paper for this class - an opinion on whether or not a group of people who kill and cannibilize a fellow member of their spelunking group when they are trapped in a cave for over 20 days should be convicted of murder. See what fun law school is?

The atmosphere is competitive, but friendly. I've not heard any rumors of hidden books from the library, pages being ripped from reference books, or hard drives wiped clean. The faculty and staff take a genuine interest in the students and seem to want to equip us for practice.

Well, that's my overview of my classes for you. I would go more indepth and give more detail, but I have a Torts book and a Criminal Law book that need my attention.

No comments: