Thursday, August 6, 2009

God Is ...

Yesterday, I was going over some old notes from NewSpring and the last One Prayer series, entitled God is... It is hard to put what God is into one word or one phrase. There was God is Consistent, God is Father, God is Great and God is Good, and God is Here. These were all presented by excellent pastors and teachers. This morning as I walked after my run, I got to thinking what if I presented God is ___________? (Not that anyone would ever ask me to do so, I was just thinking about it in my quiet time).

So what or who is God? If you were asked to answer that question, what would you say? He is so many things! Father, conqueror, teacher, the Alpha and Omega, deliverer, and rock. And then, there are the emotions. So many people sum it up by God is Love and yes, that is very, very true. God loves each and every one of us. I think that He may not like us all the time, but He loves us in spite of the stupid things we do. If you view God as someone whose lap we sit in while He reads us a story, is that really accurate? Revelation tells us not totally - He comes in a kicks butt!! Not only that, but how many times is our relationship with Him one-sided if we think He's the one who loves? How do you treat people that love you? Not always the best, especially when we feel like we are unloveable. There have been times in my life that I've treated the people who loved me the absolute worst. I think it is us that needs to fall in love with God and strive for that deep emotion of falling in love with Him each and every day. What happens when you are falling in love with someone? You want to be with them all the time, you constantly talk about them and you'll do just about anything to be in their presence. Is that your relationship with God? I can honestly say that it's not mine. I slack in my quiet time & reading His Word. I've tried to do things my way instead of letting Him take the control.

I'm not preaching at anyone by writing these words, nor am I telling you what to do. These are simply thoughts that came to me this morning. I don't think that God should be put in a box. We are made in His image, so look around and see the differences in each of us. So, I guess if I had to say what/who God is, I would say, "God is EVERYTHING".

No comments: