Monday, August 3, 2009

Lessons Learned

In less than 7 days, I will officially be a 1L! I cannot believe that the time is near. So far, Jeff and I have been getting settled into our new apartment. We've been here a little over three weeks and so far, this is what I have learned:

Our area is somewhat like Wild Kingdom. I see deer and geese and was stopped on my way to church to let goats cross the road.
Our neighbors may be invisible. I have yet to see the other people that live on our floor. It is not as if I am a recluse who stays behind her own 4 walls. I do go in and out quite frequently, at varying hours. You would think that I would at least see them at some point, but so far - no see. Maybe they are the recluses.
I am all in favor of princess parking, but when you cannot get a princess space - parking in the handicapped space is not acceptable! (Unless you are indeed handicapped).
I like living in the smaller space and love our apartment!
Living in a city and visiting it are two very different things.
A county that makes headlines for a Council member e-spying on the County Administrator and sending out emails under a false name in order to install spyware on councilmember's computers really isn't that bad.
Counties can go bankrupt, have hundreds of "uncategorized" workers that are furloughed, close offices, cut law encorcement budgets, and yet build a dome.
When you need to register a vehicle, do not rely on information you find on the internet. You will need more than what is covered there and things you would never anticipate.
In order to get a driver's license and tags, you will stand in lines for over 5 hours. Thank goodness, if your husband is with you, it isn't all bad.
Said husband may drop the "F" bomb if you don't have said documentation not listed on said website.
Being a woman of leisure sucks and there is no way I could be a stay-at-home wife and not lose my sanity. I have respect for those women who can, I'm just not one of them.
I have no idea what to wear for a "casual" kick off to orientation picnic.
Do not get me wrong - I love Birmingham so far but right now, I am glad that we did not buy a home here and know that everything works out for a purpose. After all, God has promised "I know the plans I have for you..." I try every day to live those plans and let Him guide me.

No comments: