Tuesday, March 3, 2009

It's March and there's snow in SC... but I'm in Florida

On Sunday, Jeff and I planned to fly out to Orlando. He is scheduled to do 3 stores in the area and I decided to tag along and take a much-needed vacation. We knew that there was a threat of snow and on Sunday morning, it was a definite that our area of the world was going to see the white stuff falling from the sky. Jeff and I talked about it and determined that there was a good chance our evening flight would be cancelled and since we were flying Allegiant, there was no guarantee we could get on a flight later in the week. After a packing frenzy, dropping off Shadow at grandma's house, picking up a rental car at Thrifty, we started driving through the sleet and rain and were on our way. Normally I would read to pass the time in the car, but fought a wicked headache the entire day so we listened to podcasts. Nine hours later, we arrived at our hotel near Universal Studios. Although it was cold and very windy here, we received reports from home that there were at least 3 inches of snow at home.

On Monday, we slept in a little bit and then got ready to head out and just "wing it". I know this is hard for Jeff to do, because he tends to like to have things scheduled. I'm a lot more of a spontaneous being - just taking things as they come. It's one of the reasons we balance each other so well. We had a not-so-great lunch and found the local Fleet Feet store. I've had issues with shoes since I began running and am convinced that there is a "perfect" pair out there that will help my whacked out (yes - I do think that's the proper medical term) left leg and foot. The Sauconys I recently purchased put too much stress on my outer tendon and on my shin. I could feel it immediately. So, we met with Eric, the owner of the Fleet Feet Orlando store. As we have come to know and love the Fleet Feet service, it carries over into other states as well. He took a lot of time with both of us and I walked out with a new pair of Nike LunarTrainers. These will never win any beauty contests and Jeff says that from behind, they closely resemble jet skis. However, they fit me like a glove and felt so light and effortless.

We came back to the hotel, took care of some business, and I had to try out the new kicks. We took off and ran around the Universal and Hard Rock resort properties. A beautiful walkway run and we stopped a little more than halfway through our run and walked through CityWalk. After our run, we had a great dinner and I accompanied Jeff on his night shop visits. This is where he goes through the drive-thrus unannounced and hopefully unrecognized, orders food and then under cover of night, pulls into a parking space and examines the food. It was interesting to see him pick apart everything, from the premises, to the customer service to the food itself. I gave up fast food and fried foods for Lent, but after last night, I honestly don't know if I'll recover. I'm talking expired food pulled off the grill and served, incorrect orders and lots of food touching. Okay, I know that I have major food issues and this is not a secret. I admit it and admitting it is half the battle, right? But, that trip may have changed my eating habits forever.

This morning, I was able to sleep in and am just vegging out in the room. It's not warm enough for pool time, but hopefully later in the week it will be. I plan to read some for fun today and also get in some studying. Later after Jeff gets done with work, we will go out for another run and tonight we are going to dinner at his third grade teacher's house.

Still no word from the State schools, but I am leaning toward rejections, since it is so late in the cycle. I'd love to just hear and get the cycle done and over with. Since seat deposits are due on April 1, I'll know almost certainly by the end of this month where I'll spend the next three years.

No comments: