Wednesday, March 4, 2009

A Little DownTime

So, I'm on vacation... that's somewhat of a foreign concept for me. Usually when out of town, I have a schedule or an agenda. You know, places to see, people to meet, and things to eat. Because of Jeff working, the past two days, I've been on my own. Yesterday, I left the room to get coffee downstairs at the hotel, and that was it, until Jeff got back in. I laid on the bed and read, a little for pleasure, a little for study. I watched tacky talk shows (God, how do people enjoy daytime television?) and I just existed. By 3, I was bored.

So today, I took a different approach. I took my laptop downstairs and ate breakfast in the lobby. When I came back to the room, it had not been serviced, so I headed out to walk to Starbucks with my book, Succeeding in Law School (on Cumberland's required Summer Reading List). I had a cafe mocha and read several chapters. I called my friend Heahter on my walk back to catch up with her. As I returned to the hotel, I went by the pool - it was empty, very calm and peaceful. So, I quickly put on shorts and a tank top (sorry my friends at home, it was 70 here today) and went back to the pool, where I laid in a lounge chair for an hour and a half absorbed in Breaking Dawn. It was thoroughly enjoyable.

When Jeff got finished working, we went for another 3 mile run at the Universal Resort. The pace was still fast and I struggled for some reason with my breathing. I realized after it was over that it was probably a combination of the caffeine ingested today and the higher temperatures.

I have realized that I do not always have to be on the go at 100 mph. I can slow down, relax a little bit and just BE. My next 3 years will be crazy busy, I am sure. I need to take advantage of this time and enjoy the little things - like laying in the sun with a good book, being away from the daily grind, and appreciating the wonderful husband and family I have.

No comments: