Friday, February 6, 2009

Tybee Island Half.... I mean 5 miler

I'm in a hotel room thinking what a difference a year makes. One year ago, I ran my first half marathon at Tybee. I was suffering from severe shin splints, but was determined to do it. Now, a year later, I find that I am much more rational. Maybe it's the fact that I suffered with those flippin' shin splints from January - June of last year and would rather not replay those days, wondering if I really wanted to be runner and could I ever do it without pain. So, after Kiawah when my training went into the tank, I knew that Tybee would be difficult. With so much going on, getting the house ready and on the market and all the work that has gone into that, running has taken a back seat. Heck, I can't even say back seat. Possibly the trunk, but more like the cans that trail behind those obnoxious Just Married cars. I had a moment of clarity this week and decided that it would be much better to still come to Tybee, but to do the 5 mile instead of the Half Marathon. I don't want to feel the way I did after Vermont last year and I certainly don't want to lose the running bug. You see, I can't imagine NOT running; I can't imagine living in Homewood and Jeff and I not running together; I can't imagine not having that outlet that has become such a part of me; and, I can't imagine not feeling the air pushing me forward and the sun on my face as I sweat and push through mile after mile. So tomorrow morning I'll still get up early and make the 30 minute ride to Tybee. As I run the 5 miles, I will still take in every memory this great island has for me and I'll thank God for giving me the ability to be a runner. I am also hoping that this will rekindle my desire and motivation. It has been so hard to get motivated when the temperatures have been so low and it appears we may finally see some warmer weather which will make it easier. I'll fill you in on how it goes after the Tybee Island 5 miler

No comments: