Friday, August 15, 2008

I Can See Clearly Now...

Yesterday was a very exciting day for me. I woke up and met my Team Tiara peeps for a 3 mile run. It was a great morning for a run. Afterwards, we converged on St. Arbucks for a Chocolate Banana Vianno and some nutrition talk. Then, Jeff and I headed over to Carolina Cornea to change my life as I know it. It was time for my LASIK procedure.

I thought I was so ready for this. Especially after wearing my glasses for the past 2weeks. Ugh! Miserable to run in those stupid things. We were to be there at 9 and the procedure would be at 9:30. We arrived shortly before 9 and I was taken back quickly for some measurements. In between measurements, the wait began. They brought Jeff back to sit with me, which was a good thing because otherwise I may have walked out. Each passing minute, my anxiety level increased. I was finally taken back to a room, had a beautiful blue paper hat put over my hair and two peices of styrofoam taped to the side of my face. I looked like a cartoon character. More waiting ... more waiting .... and yes, more waiting .... Finally, around 11 Dr. Parker came in and went over the procedure in detail with me. She explained everything like a football game: first quarter, second quarter, halftime, third quarter and fourth quarter. Ok, now she's speaking my language. My only job during the first half was to remain still like a statue. I could breath, but no talking, and certainly no moving. The second half my job was to focus on the center of the laser light. Seemed easy enough. I went into the room, layed back and was ready to get the party started.

First Half: Tape was placed over my left eye and my right eye was placed under a light. A suction cup was attached to my right eye and once that was in place and on, I was swung over to a machine and would come down and felt as if it rested on the suction cup. While there was pressure felt, it was not painful. Touchdown! Now on to the second quarter which was the same thing with the left eye. Right eye taped, suction on, laser down. Done. It was now halftime. I was very close to asking if the marching band was coming, but thought better of it. Dr. Parker is great at what she does, but she's also very focused.

Second Half: A cup was placed over the left eye and my forehead was taped to the pillow. They were making sure I wasn't going to be mobile at all. Both top and bottom eyelids were taped open and a speculum was placed to keep the eye open. I immediately saw my read light and told myself over and over, "center of the light, center of the light". At one point the light diappeared, but I kept my pupil straight where it had been. I heard the click,click, click of the laser and then it was done. On to the fourth quarter. Under other circumstances, I would have held up four fingers like was do a Alabama games. Exact same procedure for the left eye and then I was all done. When I sat up I could see, but it looked as if I were underwater. I was taken into my room, put on sunglasses and layed back for about 30 minutes. I think Jeff (who had watched the entire procedure) and I both dozed off. Dr. Parker then took a look and released me to come home. Unfortunately, all I could do yesterday was sleep and lay with my eyes closed (it helps keep them moist). Jeff is the most wonderful person I know and kept me on schedule with all the drops I have to take and put them in for me.

I woke up this morning and could see clearly for the first time I can recall. It's a pretty cool sensation to look around and see detail and vibrant color. I went to my follow up and was tested at 20/20 vision. All seems to be healing well. I am taking it easy today and will get to run my 7 miles on Sunday with Jeff.

This is truly the best birthday present ever. I love you Jeff Plain!!

No comments: